Friday 22 October 2010

Bellator hits home stretch Thursday night with marquee fights in Philly

Though the City of Brotherly Love may be focused on how the Phillies are faring in the playoffs, Philadelphia's fight fans have a treat with Bellator in town. In the second-to-last card of the season, Bellator will award a championship belt, and host the bout it likely expected when it signed Roger Huerta.

With lightweight tournament champ Pat Curran injured, Philadelphia's own Eddie Alvarez will face Huerta in a non-title bout. This will be the third bout for Alvarez since winning the Bellator lightweight belt, but he has yet to defend the belt.

Though a belt isn't on the line, Huerta called this fight "the biggest fight of his career." 

"He's kind of [going to] bring me back from the dead, almost," Huerta said in a Bellator press call. "He's going to bring the best out in me."

That's exactly what Huerta needs, considering that he's lost three of his last four bouts. 

Lyman Good will put his welterweight title on the line when he meets up with Season 2 welterweight tournament champion Ben Askren. Though Askren was an Olympian in 2008 and a two-time national champion wrestler at the University of Missouri, Good said that he's ready for Askren's wrestling, having worked with with Kurt Pellegrino on takedown defense. He also stepped up the focus on his cardio.

"I've been working purely on my conditioning as well, using a lot of the time I've had since I last fought, not so much that I had a specific weakness that I was worried about, but you've got to ask yourself, in contrast to your opponent, what are their strengths, what are their weaknesses?" Good said. "It's clear what Askren's are, so I've been working on my takedown defense and wrestling, but especially my cardio, which pays dividends when it comes to a fight, especially a five-rounder."

Bellator will air on FOX Sports. Check your local listings to see when it will air in your area.

martial art mma fight mma training anderson silva chuck liddell

No comments:

Post a Comment